Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mission: Free Joe Cypress

After eating two Thanksgiving meals (one with David's ENT department and one with a family from church) which consisted of classic southern delicacies (namely deep fried turkey injected with Creole butter and sweet potato pie topped with candied pecans) I experienced some pretty strong and consistent contractions for two days thereafter and was sure Joe Cypress was on his way (see previous post for explanation of why I am referring to our baby by this name). Then, just like that, they went away and I haven't had any consistent contractions since.

The doctor informed me that I have started to dilate and "soften" (those who have paved this road know the term well) and little Joe's head is really low so I should be ready "any day." Subsequent to receiving this news, I requested a few of those lovely absorbent mats they put under you on the hospital beds and have been sleeping on those because I'm paranoid about my water breaking in bed and ruining our mattress. It makes a lovely crinkling sound every time I move (which is quite frequent since I have discovered NO comfortable sleeping position... hence why I'm writing this post at 4:45am), but I feel a little better having taken this precautionary measure.

However, despite the doctor's admonition, all I've been feeling the last few days is the most uncomfortable unilateral sciatica that has developed and I'm starting to think that having little Joe here soon wouldn't be a bad thing. Up until precisely four days ago, I strategically avoided the pregnant waddle, but it is now inevitable and with each stride, I'm not sure if I move farther forward or side to side. I dare say, my next post may very well include pictures of our first born son as long as our efforts to free Joe Cypress from his captivity are successful:)

13 comments:

Krystal Trapnell said...

I think pregnancy gets so uncomfortable at the end so we DO want those babies out. Otherwise, we might be content to let them bake in there forever. I sure hope it's soon!

Carol said...

Good luck getting Joey out----and sooner than later. This is the time to pamper yourself and only do things you HAVE to do. We can't wait to see pictures. We're cheering for you. Thanks so much for sharing your blog with us. We love it. Cris and Carol

Iverson Family said...

I can't believe you are already almost done! I can't wait to see pictures! Good luck. Oh and the pads on the bed are HILARIOUS! I never even thought to do that. Thanks for the idea:)

nevadanista said...

I don't think I'll ever get Joe Cypress out of my head when I see your baby. He will forever be Joe Cypress to me - one of the most awesome names known to mankind!
And Joe-lo for short is a close second.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers...

nevadanista said...

Oh, and I'm trying to figure out why your ad today is for hair restoration? Aren't the ads usually based on the content of your latest post? Here's a snippet from their web-site

Trying to Re-Grow Your Hair?

You Are Not Alone.
Thousands of men suffer from hair loss. And each year thousands solve it — permanently — through hair restoration surgery.


What does that have to do with freeing Joe Cypress?

Whitaker Family said...

So will you post like the same day? Hmmmm I am getting so excited for you guys!!!

Christie said...

Us Costley's must have the same fear because I always put a shower curtain under my sheets about a month before my due date. Good luck getting Joe out - I can't wait to hear your birth story.

Karen Rand said...

Wow! It's already time? That was a quick 9 -10 months:) Good luck with the birth. I'm sure you and David will do great. John use to take me to far off places when I was in labor, because you know back in the 80's it was forbidden to use drugs!! Poor guy, I'm sure he was so tired of whispering in my ear through the many hours of labor. Can't wait to see Joe Cypress.

Karen Rand

Lisa Curtis said...

Woa!! You know you have a ton of stalkers just waiting for your Little Joe C. hehe...
I'm so excited for you guys, and this was a super fast, easy pregnancy for me......hehe...

Nellie said...

Walk, girlfriend, Walk! I get so claustrophobic in the end I feel like I'm going to lose my mind. I had more walking energy than ever the last bit of pregnancy -- get it out!! Even numbers for me came early -- odds late or on time --

Good luck --

Jen H said...

Good luck freeing Joe Cypress! We are all anxiously waiting his arrival ( I am sure we are not quite as anxions as you though, my dear!)

Carol and Tyler said...

COME OUT, JOE!!!!! We ALL want to meet you!!!

Christie said...

jenny i know you are about to give birth any second but if you have a chance to email me yours and any of your siblings addresses for christmas cards I will appreciate it. Thanks christieae at yahoo dot com